Monday 30 January 2012

Lliswerry 8 - Race Report

What a great race. Flat, fast, friendly, well organised, picturesque. Whatever superlative you could care to conjure up for a road race, the Lliswerry 8 has got it. My only gripe was the bottleneck at the start, which meant making up a little ground during mile 1. No big deal, though.

I felt pretty comfortable for the first half of the race, but after what was in hindsight a stupidly heavy breakfast I developed a stitch at about mile 5 and had to 'hang on' rather than finish strong (although I did just about manage a negative split). I thought I might have had a little bit more to give had everything gone 100% to plan, but certainly felt positive overall.

Here's hoping this was a good omen for the rest of the racing calendar. We'll see how the weather fares in Llanelli for my 10-miler in three weeks' time. If all goes to plan (you never know!), then we might get close to 1:05.

Official results here and my GPS data here

Distance: 8.00 miles
Avg pace: 6m 30s / mile
Conditions: Flat! Cloudy, 2°C
Position: 78th of 534 (putting me in the top 15%)

No comments:

Post a Comment